Wednesday, September 20, 2006

first year, first post, first few weeks...

As a first year teaching, there are just a few things I would like to post on this blog. I just graduated in May of 2006 and being my first year teaching, I know that I have my hands full in the CPS. I am excited to meet the challenges that all teachers face and am blessed to be able to work with the students of Chicago's southwest side. There are so many good people in CPS, I am not having any problem turning to any of my department members for support and everyone has really been more than willing to help me out. For that, I would like to thank all of my fellow teachers at Gage Park High.

I have had some very scary encounters with students already, threats and what not that have set me thinking about many different issues. I am lucky and unlucky to have recieved the first year teacher's nightmare schedule (all freshmen with a tenth period class ending at 4:25 pm), but so far I have found many postives. I have been working relentlessly trying to involve the student's parents and so far I have had a lot of sucess in that department. Aside from the disconnected telephone numbers (which is a constant problem for me) the parents I have spoken with have been concerned and more than eager to assit me with their children's education. Granted I know this is only the middle of the third week, but so far the parent's enthusiasm to help their children is very comforting to me. I just need to find a way to reach the parents that have no phone...

As a 22 year old teacher, classroom management has become my most important issue and I am slowly learning the ins and outs of creating the ideal learning environment. Once again, I owe a tremendous thank you to the faculty for helping me withtheir advice and wisdom. I am glad to see that there are no teachers that have sunk to showing up, follwing the routine, leaving, and taking their paychecks. This is one of the most postive aspects of the school I have witnessed thus far. The other first year teachers (and there are many) are also experiencing this wave of excitement and progression with me, all while keeping the most hopeful and optimistic views. I can feel a change occuring in the attitudes of the teachers, the students, and the parents causing me to be extremely excited and hopeful for the future of the Chicago Public Schools.

Thank you for your time and to all the teachers out there reading this post, keep up the positive attitude. If you have any great advice with classroom management (other than do not smile till x-mas, which I have heard thousands of times and I have already completely blown... I wish I could do that, I am just having too much fun) please leave me a comment with some advice. Take it easy

also, I had a blast at the Sox game last night, probably one of the most fun games I have ever been to. Hopefully they can still pull it out... I am keeping the faith.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of CPS, J.R.

Here's one thing that might help management-wise.

Ask the kids if they have a good choir at their church (they'll all say yes). Then ask them where their church is.

Once you have the address, go to the kids church who gave you a hard time. Introduce yourself to everyone. Then say "he/she's a great kid, but I had a little problem the other day...."

By Monday 8:30 am every kid will have heard the story. Problem? Go to church. End of problem.

Anonymous said...

I had a good time at that game also. However, it was really cold. The best advise anyone can give is for you to concentrate on instruction. Good teaching eliminates the need to control behavior. I'm positive you are more concerned about behavior than you are about managing the classroom.

 
Locations of visitors to this page